Sunday, November 8, 2020

Plato's Republic: Our need will be the real creator

The Covid Lens continues to focus us!

On this bright, breezy fall day, we in Ohio find ourselves in a maelstrom of new Covid cases.  Nine months of the Covid pandemic has gripped us in its tangled web.  It is a once every 100 years crisis!  Jesus' discourse on the signs of the times comes to mind.  The apocalyptic reading of those words in terms of the world is rather grim.  My first go to intepretation of biblical passages is always personal. What is God trying to tell me, right here, right now. How is my  world (view) going to change?  What are those signs for me?  I am not suggesting that this is the official view, but rather when I read scripture I am open to the possibility of allowing my relationship with God to deepen.  

Coming up on three years ago when I was struck to the ground yet again and led to another "go into the city and you will be told what to do" mission, not once did I think it would take almost 3 years to accomplish, or that we would have to raise $3MM dollars in three and a half months, or that we would actually begin work in the pandemic of the century!  Once again, I approached all of that with fear, anxiety, and uncertainty.  Yet, all along, God pounded me with readings after readings with one very simple message:  Be not afraid.  Intellectually I had no issue with that...but day to day living the last three years brings me back to my absolute dependence on God.  A God who continually assures me that there is nothing to fear!

Looking back everything turned out even more incredible than I had believed.  This whole experiene reminds me of the early days of the Cristo Rey movement where John Foley would always say:  "This is from God, just get out of the way!"

I am often "all in" on things that aren't necessarily well thought out, I am extremely competive and want to win, I am a bull in a china shop, I am "damn the torpedoes" full speed ahead, on and on. So again, God uses my weaknesses as strengths!  In the end, I believe with all my heart that God did not create

Any doubt what God wants
for these sisters??

the mess we are in with our cities--we did!  And with his help, we broke it so we can fix it.  The only prayer Jesus taught us begins with "Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come.Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.  When I look at our kids at St. Thomas and Archbishop Lyke there is no doubt in my mind what God wants for them!

The following two pieces, illustrate some learnings that have come from our need.

https://www.partnershipnyc.org/seeing-school-choice/

https://www.partnershipnyc.org/enrollment-increase-partnership-cleveland/


Please share this with others.  I am available to talk about what we are doing.  Please email me at richard.clark@partnershipcle.org

No comments: